Friday, July 31, 2009

it's like a hand grenade fight

hey -- you're just in time to check out the monster dramz between my landlord and me. take a look:

Oh dear *****,

As you clearly do not recall, when my first contract expired in April 2008, I asked you for a contact to cover the summer months. As a foreigner in this country, I think it's in my best interest to have as much legal documentation as possible -- including where I've resided while I've been here. But you said it was no big deal. So my last contractually binding day as your tenant was April 30, 2009. This is something I have not forgot for a single day since I asked you for a summer contact last year, and it's why I am willing to pay for my incremental time remaining here, but I'm not under contract to give you an official notice and pay for all of August. Sorry, but that's the facts.

This is why I had been telling you about my intentions to move since I returned to Vancouver around June 24th. I said end of July, August for certain. I kept you updated of my progress and intentions -- this is not out of the blue. Then after our encounter this week you made it clear you wanted me to leave -- and I understood that as "asap" because I was otherwise constantly telling you I was moving out. I'm doing you a favor by leaving and offering you an honest rent when I am not actually under contract to pay you anything.

Furthermore, this hurts my feelings because I know you're not asking for the August rent out of a real need to supplement your income -- fdfdsdsfs if you really were on a tight budget, you would have had that 3rd room rented out for May 1st (and it would have been completely possible if you tried). Last summer when Peter left and you and I worked together to fill the vacany, I assume it was urgent, a vital part of your living budget. But when I asked as such, you said that no, you weren't as concerned about the money as finding the right tenant for a happy home.

On the other hand I can completely understand that two vacant rooms is a much more significant issue than one, financially -- I don't blame you. I had asked for an extended contract because agreements are worked out for both parties' best interests. I feel that I've been doing as much as I can to be completely transparent with you. Additionally, I really liked living in your home because you were really committed to building a happy home; since this is no longer a happy home (as you said, you feel "indifferent" about me these days), I feel that I'm making the best choice for all of us in me leaving quickly -- sure you may want the rent money, but nothing will be resolved while I'm still living here.

I'm finding this kind of funny in that I think we are each convinced of our own logic, and we think each other is a little bonkers -- sometimes that happens! I still think you're a cool guy ****-- it's too bad things had to turn out like this.

- Me

No comments: